Monday, January 10, 2011

Valley of the Dollhouse

Before I was born, sometime in between my oldest brother being born and oldest sister being born, my Mom built, from scratch a dollhouse that has survived through all five of us crazy kids!  It is over 30 years old and has gone through multiple remodels.  It has 5 rooms, an attic and a newly added "secret room".  It also has electric light bulbs in each room and in the fireplace as well as doors that open and close with little tiny hinges!  In its hey day it was truly beautiful!

Here it is now, in another remodeling phase, after a rough stint over at my sister's house where her brood had free reign on it for a while.  My Mom got a little concerned and took it back, now its in a spare room at her house, safe from the "Littles" until they get a bit bigger (or until Mom learns to play nice and share again, lol).  It stands about 3.5' tall and 4.5' wide.  It is really one of my favorite childhood memories!

 Here are the rooms on the 1st floor:

The Kitchen with real cast iron wood stove

 The Dining Room
The peeling paint in this room makes me sad, but like I said, the dolls are "remodeling"

The Den
This fireplace is really neat, it has real stones & mortar!

2nd Floor Rooms:

Bedroom
 Look closely and you will see a giant in the mirror!
The Study

The Bathroom

My Mom has a pretty good sense of humor!


The Attic


The Living Room
I asked my Mom where this guy's shirt went...She said that it must be hot by the fire and he took it off!  I think there is more to the story though...there are way too many tea pots, cats and cake in this room...maybe this gentleman is expecting a gentleman caller!  

 The fireplace has a flicker bulb in it to simulate real flames!

 Okay, I know you can't read these cups, they are literally about the size of a pencil eraser, but they all have the name of us 5 kids on them!  Yup, Paul, Bonnie, Amber, Sarah, and Benjamin!  The sixth one says "Love Forever"...aw Mom!

The Secret Room:
A couple of years ago, my mom opened up the roof of the dollhouse and added a secret bedroom.  This may be Rosemary's Baby's Room but it looks comfy none-the-less!

My favorite thing is that the little dollhouse in this room looks like our actual dollhouse!
 My Mom says that she doubts she would let Bonnie's five kids have the dollhouse again.  They were kindof brutal on it.  I guess as children we were a bit more careful because a lot of the original furnishings are still there, some of them my Mom actually made herself.  She also said that when she passes, she's willing it to me because I don't have any kids.  That may change someday, but I assured her if I did ever have kids, I'd teach them to play nice and easy with the dollhouse.  I would love to re-decorate it myself one day!




10 comments:

  1. That is incredible! I'm so glad your Mom saved it. Something as precious as that needs to be in a safe place. You have a very clever Mom. I love the kitties around the cat box. Looks like my bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh very cool!!

    I have a big handmade dollhouse too, and fingers crossed, when I do some rearranging, I can bring it out of the Studio closet and put it in the pink room on display.

    You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom did an awesome job on every detail! I love the mugs with all the kids names on them! I wish I could make something like this for my granddaughter...hmmm...maybe I will. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, love the kitties mirroring real life touch. did I mention I'm a fan of your blog? looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the fireplace! And the miniature games in the attic. The whole thing is so cool- what great memories you must have. I am just now finding an appreciation for miniatures, never was into it as a kid. My kids aren't super into it either, or I think I would start picking some up at the sales. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, it's so cute! I especially love the little games and the kitty litter box. How cool that your mom actually made it. That dollhouse seriously is just awesome!

    Fourth Grade Nothing

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dollhouse is so fantastic! I love the fireplace and that little litter box. The details are just over-the-top cool. I love how your Mom took it back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats fantstic! Once I get all my 'Kansas' blogs out of the way I have a few surprises i'll post for all our friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! All the little details. I think I like the real mortar fireplace best. Glad your mom is taking good care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHAHAHA! Shirt off, too many teapots, cake and (the dead giveaway) cats! The coup de grace, though, is that litterbox. I still need to set up the dollhouse I was always going to do with Mom. One of these days . . .

    ReplyDelete

I Heart Comments too!